TROVE Tuesday

                                                     An Eight Year Feud.

Wow, I thought, a feud, I haven't heard about that. Who was Matthew, my great-uncle feuding with and why?  A mystery, to research. Well alas, no.  Reading the article I burst into fits of laughter. It wasn't a feud but as one article headed it 'Debility and Dyspepsia.'

Great-uncle Matthew had gut problems and the four doctors he saw couldn't fix it but taking ' Dr Williams' Pink Pills for Pale People' did the trick.



This was the first mention of the feud, in the Goulburn Evening Penny Post on Saturday 5 October 1901, page 4. Four other newspapers copied the article, with the same title. These were Sunday Times, Sydney, 7 October 1901, Evening News, Sydney, 24 October 1901, Mount Alexander Mail, Victoria, 25 October 1901 and the Riverina Herald, Echuca-Moama, 31 October 1901.
The last mention was in the Maitland Daily Mercury, Saturday 5 July 1902. This was the one that gave it the title, 'Debility and Dyspepsia. Swept away by Dr Williams' Pink Pills.'

I don't think they did him much harm as he lived until 1939, dying aged 68.

I wonder what was in them and were they the forerunner of Bex and Vincents' powders?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek