Occupations

Was your ancestor a Bang Beggar, an Earth stopper or a Pardoner?

I was browsing a list I have of websites (I do this to see if they still exist or what changes there might be), and came across this one.



Index to Old Occupations.   http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/index.html

It is for the Hall Genealogy Website and has other interesting areas to look at.

You select a letter of the alphabet, click on it and you get a list of Old Names  and the New Name or Description. Useful information to have.

Now I hear you muttering, 'What is a Bang Beggar?'    A Bang Beggar, was a Parish Officer who controlled how long strangers could stay in the Parish.  The others I mentioned, I'll leave for you to find.

Well worth a look even if you haven't found a strange occupation.

Bye for now,
Lilian

Comments

  1. I've been doing some research lately and came across striker (blacksmith's assistant) and magazine holder (which can mean holder of gunpowder/ammunition to general stores assistant)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek