Friday Chat

I have had an interesting day, attending part two of conservation course.  The Royal Australian Historical Society, held this at Callan Park and today I went for a walk and took some photos. Great-Grandma Galbraith spent time there and it was interesting to wander around. The beautiful sandstone buildings I saw date from 1880 and 1883.




These four photos show different parts of the area. It is now under the University of Sydney and they are using the old buildings for different subjects.


The conservation course had us making a Solander Box, for storing documents in. They are named after Swedish botanist, Daniel Solander, (1733-1782).

                                                 It doesn't look much standing on its end.

                                                      Now you can see inside a bit.


Laying flat you can see that it is two rectangle pieces, that fit one inside the other. This forms a seal and keeps the dust out.
I purchased some more cardboard, buckram and  glue, so I can make some more. If I wanted to buy one the size I finished making, today, it retails at $250.00!
The reason it didn't get finished, last class was the red backing was cut to small and we had to wait for more to be cut. We got there early to finish it off before today's class.

Today we did book binding and worked on books from the RAHS library.

Bye for now,
Lilian.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lost in DNA Weekend Part 1. (my 600th post)

Transcription Agents.

Part 3 of Our Trip, Alice Springs to Tennant Creek